Grammar Lesson 1

The main focus of this course is writing quantity, but from time to time I will give you guidance on grammar and accuracy. Here's the first lesson:

  1. Look out for singular nouns! If it's not an abstract noun, then you probably need to change it in some way, e.g.:
    1. Make it plural (add "s");
    2. Add "a" or "an", or "the".
  2. Watch punctuation and spaces. The basic rule is: ONE space only AFTER a comma or period, and no space before.
  3. Don't press RETURN ("kaigyou") without a reason. If you want to make a new paragraph, in Blogger it's usually best to press RETURN twice.
Keeping these rules in mind, please correct the sentences below. (Copy them into your blog and correct them there.)
I like movie .I sometimes go to the cinema ,butusually I watch movie at home. Yesterday, I watch interesting movie called Man on Fire.
Remember that, if you find these points difficult, you can write in Microsoft Word, which will usually indicate any mistakes.

1 comments:

  1. Pukman (Rick): Thank you for the tips about nouns, punctuation and spacing. They should help clear up a lot of little writing bugs.

    I've shared your tips with my classes through a link on the Writing Studio Wiki, along with other grammar and writing tips.

    Students: You are welcome to browse the other tips on that wiki. Just ask your instructor (Mr. Lavin) for the password, and look for Resources: Writing guides (section 6.4).

    Cheers.

    on 4/29/2007 2:03 p.m.