The Curse of the Golden Flower

As you may know I like watching movies, whenever possible at the cinema, although recently I am often too busy to make it to the cinema as often as I would like. This week, though, I went to see The Curse of the Golden Flower. This is directed by Zhang Yimou (who you may know from Hero and The House of Flying Daggers)) and stars Chow Yun Fat (Replacement Killer; A Better Tomorrow, and so on) and Gong Li (Miami Vice, and many others).

Although the movie is known as the third in Zhang Yimou's trilogy of martial arts movies, it is very different from Hero or The House of Flying Daggers, and has fewer action scenes. Many critics compare it to Hamlet, and there are many complex plots unfolding at once, on the part of the Emperor, his wife, and the 3 princes. Some people say it is an allegory of the Tiananmen Incident from modern China. It was a little complicated for me, because I was trying to listen to the Chinese while reading the Japanese subtitles, and I didn't have time to do either very thoroughly.

Anyway, you can get more information at IMDB.

0 comments: